Dean of Instruction (SY 20-21)
About Promise Schools
Founded in 2013, Promise Schools is a non-profit educational management organization in Detroit that helps urban schools become great. By great schools, we mean schools that place all students – no matter their socio-economic status, neighborhood, or home life – on the path to college and other post-secondary studies.
Promise Schools operates three schools and serving approximately 1,100 students in the city of Detroit and Highland Park:
- Jalen Rose Leadership Academy (Grades 9-12)
- MacDowell Preparatory Academy (Grades K-8)
- Barber Preparatory Academy (Grades Pre-K-8)
Dean of Instruction
The Dean of Instruction works to support the improvement of educational programming through direct teacher coaching. This position reports to the principal.
As an educator at Promise Schools you will:
- Continuously improve your expertise in the classroom in collaboration with your peers, accelerating your time to mastery.
- Jump-start your career growth potential. PS is a rapidly expanding network of schools, which means plenty of opportunity for you in the classroom or through our teacher pathway.
- Get results. Our mission isn’t accomplished, but the early indicators of success propel us forward. As one example, 90+% of our scholars earn acceptance to a four-year college.
Duties and responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Analyzes class and grade level data in different subject levels at assigned school for the purpose of sharing information with teachers and making informed decisions relative to instructional practices.
- Conduct classroom observations.
- Coach, mentor, and model appropriate teaching techniques.
- Provide feedback needed to bring about student achievement and build capacity to teach and improve instruction.
- Assist in local and state assessments, analyze data to drive improved academic results.
- Provide general assistance to the Principal or other Deans with any projects.
- Act as team player who provides families, teachers, students, and other team members with first-class service.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from a competitive college or university.
- Evidence of at least 5-7 years of successful teaching experience and valid teaching certification required.
- Three years of leadership experience preferred.
Experience and Skills:
- Mission driven with extremely high standards for student achievement
- Indefatigable will and spirit
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Strong belief in the Promise Way, mission, values, and model.
- Problem-Solving attitude with incredibly strong work ethic and humility
- A joy of learning and leading with a sense of humor
- Strong instructional and classroom management skills
- Professional level of personal organization and planning
- Willingness to respond positively to feedback with a solutions-oriented attitude
- Mastery of and enthusiasm for subject matter.
Commensurate with experience.
Your employment offer will be contingent upon:
- Successful completion of your background check;
- Verification of your identity and ability to legally work within the United States.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.