About Promise Schools
Founded in 2013, Promise Schools is a non-profit educational management organization in Detroit that helps urban schools become great. By great schools, we mean schools that place all students – no matter their socio-economic status, neighborhood, or home life – on the path to college and other post-secondary studies.
Promise Schools operates three schools and serving approximately 1,100 students in the city of Detroit and Highland Park:
- Jalen Rose Leadership Academy (Grades 9-12)
- MacDowell Preparatory Academy (Grades K-8)
- Barber Preparatory Academy (Grades Pre-K-8)
In collaboration with teachers and other members of the school leadership team, a Behavior Interventionist works directly with scholars to empower their leadership through the cultivation of self-regulation. The Behavior Interventionist will use research-based interventions such as restorative practices to establish a strong school culture that enables learning.
Duties and responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
1. Outstanding student character development
- Live the Promise Way and be the model of a renaissance learner.
- Create an aspirational, positive, achievement-oriented, joyful, and disciplined school that excites and invests students.
- Motivate student to reach and manifest high academic and behavioral standards.
- Hold all students accountable for proper diligence and behavior in and out of school.
2. Ensure the proper order of the school through supporting teachers and administrators
- Supervise the cafeteria before and after school and during lunch.
- Advise students and parents about discipline issues.
- Convert and distribute detentions.
- Manage detention and associated documentation.
- Assist in the maintenance of student files.
- Assist in all drills (fire, tornado, intruder) and codes (medical emergency, weather emergency).
- Establish and manage system of which students use locks and lockers.
- Ensure hallways, stairways, cafeteria, auditorium, parking lot, entrance, lobby, and perimeter of school are safe and orderly.
- Escort students to the bathroom during class time.
Education and Experience:
- Two years of mentoring/counseling experience highly preferred
- Background in Social Work
Experience and Skills:
- Unrelenting, high expectations for student achievement
- An openness to feedback and collaboration with a solutions-oriented mindset
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Strong belief in the Promise Way, mission, values, and model
- Problem-solving attitude with incredibly strong work ethic and humility
- A joy of learning and leading with a sense of humor
- Professional level of personal organization and planning
- Willingness to respond positively to feedback with a solutions-oriented attitude
Commensurate with experience.